Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Easter with a Modern Twist

In our family, Easter has always been about wearing pretty spring dresses, visits from the Easter Bunny & dying eggs. Why not put a modern twist on your classic favorites this Easter? Here are some ideas:

Tradition: Dying Easter Eggs
Modern Twist: Easter Egg Decorating Contest


This contest idea was introduced to me by my husband's family and they go ALL OUT! Everyone gets together the Saturday before Easter to decorate their eggs and then they are judged on Easter Sunday during dinner. The host provides the eggs and traditional dying materials but you can bring anything else you want to use in the competition. We've seen all types of eggs over the years!! It's a fun activity for everyone to do together and everyone gets an award which is nice.

Tradition: Easter cookies or cupcakes
Modern Twist: Easter Cake Pops


This year I am going to attempt to make Easter Cake Pops! I normally bring cookies, cupcakes or another type of sweet treat to my husband's family in Carlisle, PA for Easter weekend. I'm switching it up this year and taking my inspiration from my new Bakerella Cake Pops book. I decided to try the Chicks & Easter Egg ones this year and display them in a large Easter basket. We'll see how they turn out!!

Tradition: Peeps & other Easter Candy
Modern Twist: Peepshi


I love this idea!! Peepshi is "Peeps Sushi", an awesome idea featured on SeriousEats.com. By combining Peeps, Fruit-by-the-Foot and Rice Krispie Treats, you can make your own Peepshi. I am planning on bringing all these items to my husband's family's house for the weekend to make with the kids. Plus you could use all types of other traditional Easter candies to make your own versions of Peepshi. Seems like it would be a great activity for everyone!

Hope you have fun putting these modern twists into your Easter Holiday!! Please share your egg winners, cake pops, homemade peepshi or any other Easter activities with me after the holiday...Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea for Peepshi!! I made them for Easter & they were a great hit :)
    Hope you had a lovely day! ox

    ReplyDelete