Monday, August 9, 2010

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

We all know this old saying which began in the Victorian Era and refers to a collection of items that a bride should have on her wedding day to bring her luck. We try to abide by it before walking down the aisle in fear that if we don’t it will bring bad luck to our very special day. But what to use as your items? What if I don’t have something blue? Let’s start with the “Something Old”…


Your “something old” can be several things. It can be a piece of jewelry passed down to you from generation to generation or a piece of your mother’s veil or dress as a part of your bouquet. Anything that has been in your family can be used as your “something old”. Sometimes your “something old” may be something you could use as your “something borrowed” too. My engagement ring was my great grandmother’s so that was my “something old” and I also used a piece of my mother’s wedding dress as a part of my bouquet.


“Something new” is easy! New shoes, new piece of jewelry, new garter, etc… If you don’t have “something new”, you could go out and buy a new accessory to go with your wedding day attire or possibly purchase a new pair of sexy underwear to surprise your new hubby with on the night of your wedding!

As I mentioned before, your “something borrowed” can be “something old” also. I wore my mother’s wedding dress that we re-designed. My mom is a very talented seamstress and sewer so I was lucky to have her take her wedding dress and create a more modern version. Your veil could also serve as your “Something borrowed”. Maybe you don’t want to wear your mother’s wedding dress but maybe the veil fits your style or a veil that a sister, sister-in-law, cousin, or friend used for their wedding.


Here’s the tricky part, “something blue”. Blue is not always a part of the bride’s color scheme or event so something this can be a tough one to incorporate without making it very obvious. If you are wearing a garter, this is a great opportunity to make this your “something new” since no one will really see this item during the wedding. Other ideas are wearing undergarments with blue or sewing a patch into the inside of your dress with blue lettering that has the date of your wedding. I got married on the beach so the flip flops that I wore during my reception had blue on them.


An important thing to remember is that this is only a saying, it does not and cannot tell the future of your marriage. If you are having trouble finding one of your items, don’t stress about this because it all comes together in the end.

Some other places to find ideas:



What did you use for your "Something old, new, borrowed or blue"?

No comments:

Post a Comment